Thursday, April 12, 2007

Another Movie Quiz

This one came from Stacie Ponder's fun Final Girl site. A gal with a great sense of humor who digs slasher movies. I wonder if she'll marry me?

1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times.

Not as many as you might think. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. ROAD HOUSE. PARTNERS with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER. STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN. MAGNUM FORCE. Most of these are just guesses, and there probably are a few more I’ve seen more than ten times, I just can’t recall.

2. Name a movie that you've seen multiple times in the theater.


FLASH GORDON is the first film I saw more than once theatrically. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, I’ve seen probably six or seven times on the big screen. I used to see ROCKY III a lot when it played in the ‘80s as a midnight movie. There are several others I’ve seen twice, but not very many I have seen more than that in a theater.

3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie.

William Shatner (not that I’ve made any effort to see a MISS CONGENIALITY movie or even a single episode of BOSTON LEGAL or that game show he hosted). Lance Henriksen. Henry Silva. Jeff Fahey. Don “The Dragon” Wilson. Burt Reynolds. John Saxon. Charles Napier. Phoebe Cates. Kurt Russell. Robert Forster (I rented a MAGNUM, P.I. disc from Netflix just to see his two-parter). Mike Connors. Peter Graves. Claudia Jennings. Carla Gugino. Dick Miller. Candice Rialson. Tara Strohmeier. Robert Culp.

4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie.

Almost anybody under 30 who ever starred in a TV series on Fox or the WB. Will Smith. Keanu Reeves. Lorenzo Lamas. Gwyneth Paltrow. Jude Law.

5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from.

The three most quotable films ever made are ROAD HOUSE, USED CARS and THE BIG LEBOWSKI. I have used a…mile…of quotes from those movies.

5. Name a movie musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.

A HARD DAY’S NIGHT. HELP. YELLOW SUBMARINE.

6. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with.


Don’t think I have ever done that.

7. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.

This could be a very long list. Well, ROAD HOUSE, obviously. It’s the only perfect movie I’ve ever seen. As a dark horse, I’ll throw in STARCRASH.

8. Name a movie that you own.

Considering I have more than 2000, that’s an odd question. I’ll tell you what I’ll do. I’ll pull up my Excel sheet listing all of my DVD titles (not even VHS). I’ll find a random number generator online. Whatever number it comes up with, I’ll find the corresponding title on my DVD list.

#1381 = RAGE TO KILL starring Oliver Reed, Cameron Mitchell and James Ryan

9. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.

Dolph Lundgren. Really. He's turned into an appealing character actor, though he's still playing leads.

10. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? If so, what?

I’ve seen hundreds of movies at the drive-in, mostly the Widescreen in Urbana, the Twin City in Champaign and the Egyptian in Herrin. The earliest I recall are THE STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER and PAPILLON (not on the same bill). A ton of Disney films: GUS, NO DEPOSIT, NO RETURN, THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG, THE NORTH AVENUE IRREGULARS, THE JUNGLE BOOK. THE NORSEMAN, one of the worst films ever made. FOR YOUR EYES ONLY (for some reason, we didn’t stay for the nightcap, WOLFEN). K-9/RAMBO III. THE DREAM TEAM/ROAD HOUSE. AUSTIN POWERS/FATHER’S DAY. THE MASK OF ZORRO. I don’t like going these days, because you only get one movie, and it’s a fucking law that drive-ins are mandated to provide double features.

11. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven't yet gotten around to it.

THE GOONIES. GOODFELLAS.

12. Ever walked out of a movie?

Twice, and both times because I wasn’t feeling well. CHUNGKING EXPRESS and COPS AND ROBBERSONS, which may also be one of the worst films ever made.

13. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.

E.T. And I was 15.

14. Popcorn?

If you’re buying.

15. How often do you go to the movies (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?

Hardly ever. I went only nine times last year, and twice so far in 2007 (ZODIAC and GRINDHOUSE).

16. What's the last movie you saw in the theater?

GRINDHOUSE! I loved it.

17. What's your favorite/preferred genre of movie?

To be extremely specific, ‘70s crime dramas. DIRTY HARRY, THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123, BUSTING, THE OUTFIT, WALKING TALL, FUZZ, THE LAUGHING POLICEMAN, CHARLEY VARRICK, THE SEVEN UPS…even “grindhouse” stuff like THE MAD BOMBER, COMBAT COPS, THE DION BROTHERS.

18. What's the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?

I can’t say for sure. Certainly something from Disney. Maybe DUMBO or BAMBI or SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS. I remember seeing them, but not sure about the order.

19. What movie do you wish you had never seen?


I can’t think of any. PINK FLAMINGOS is an awful, nauseating movie, but, hey, I’m glad I can say that I saw it, and it was time spent with good friends. I don’t think I regret seeing anything.

20. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?

SAMURAI COP is a pretty fucking weird movie, if by “weird,” you mean “what the fuck kind of alternate universe does this movie take place in?”

21. What is the scariest movie you've seen?

THE EXORCIST or SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

22. What is the funniest movie you've seen?

Intentionally funny: USED CARS, THE IN-LAWS, ANCHORMAN, NIGHT SHIFT, THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN, THE BELLBOY, DUCK SOUP
Unintentionally funny: SAMURAI COP, STARCRASH, THE STABILIZER, THE CRIME KILLER, LADY TERMINATOR, HOLLYWOOD COP, ROAD HOUSE

4 comments:

katie said...

you don't sing to TEAM AMERICA - fuck yea?!

Hal said...

This one looks like fun, Marty. I'll give it a go:

1. I've seen USED CARS at least 60 times, maybe 100. Others I've seen more than 10 times are pretty diverse, and plentiful: DEATH WISH 3, DUCK SOUP, WHO'S MINDING THE MINT?, about 12 Forrest Tucker movies, TOMBSTONE, THE IN-LAWS, SO FINE, CADDYSHACK, about a half dozen Mel Brooks movies, all of Pam Grier's starring vehicles....there's a bunch.

2. I remember seeing THE NAKED GUN 6 times in the theatre when it came out, and the first two Cheech and Chong movies 3 times apiece. In more recent years, I saw GO 3 different times, twice as a midnight movie.

3. Among current actors: Kurt Russell. Alfre Woodard. The great Larry Storch. Pam Grier. Sanaa Lathan. Tuesday Weld. Peter Falk. David Rasche.

4. Hugh Grant. Ashton Kutcher.

5. USED CARS, DEATH WISH 3, THE IN-LAWS and THE PRODUCERS (1968) get quoted a lot among my group. Among others.

5B. All the lyrics to all the songs? There probably isn't one. THE MUSIC MAN comes close. And I'll be writing about ST. LOUIS BLUES on my blog soon. Does THE PRODUCERS count?

6. Early Marx Brothers and Wheeler and Woolsey comedies from the 1930's have very singable songs. Just keep on doin' what you're doin'.....

7. See my blog for the more obscure ones, but there's several I'd recommend to anyone that are on DVD, starting with USED CARS and the original THE IN-LAWS. And, among older flicks, A FACE IN THE CROWD, which is a stunningly prophetic film and also one of the very best lead performances I've ever seen, by none other than Andy Griffith.

8. I own over 1,000 myself, going all the way back to the silents. What the hell, I'll name a couple of silents: Lon Chaney Sr.'s WEST OF ZANZIBAR and THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC, which is one of the 10 best films ever made.

9. Current: I'll give Mark Wahlberg his due, though an Oscar nomination was premature IMO. Past: Cab Calloway was quite good in almost everything I saw him in.

10. Many at the old SkyView Drive In in Oklahoma before we lost it in the early 1980's. I saw LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT there when I was six! Also, TOM HORN, MEATBALLS, FOXY BROWN, MAGIC, COMA, too many to count from about 1974 to 1981.

11. THE HARDER THEY FALL.

12. HAUNTED HONEYMOON I walked out on in 1986. It's one of the worst I've ever seen.

13. Never cried in a theatre. I cried at THE MIRACLE WORKER and MY SWEET CHARLIE at home. Why does Patty Duke cause me to cry? :)

14. About half the time. My girlfriend usually splits it with me.

15. We see one or two movies at the theatre a week, about 75 percent at the dollar/second-run theatre.

16. GRINDHOUSE last weekend. I echo Marty's comment.

17. I love the wildm un-PC comedies of the late 1970's/early 1980s. Blaxploitation. Pre-code 1930's comedies. Shoot, there's a ton of stuff I like to watch every example of.

18. I was taken to YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN when I was 6.

19. I don't regret seeing anything, though REGARDE LE MAR /SEE THE SEA (1997) is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen, and STREETWISE one of the most heartbreaking.

20. Too many to count. If adult films can somehow count, CAFE FLESH, which is actually more mainstream than most.

21. ABBY. Just kidding. :) I haven't been geniunely frightened in a long time, though the first segment of NIGHT GALLERY scared the hell out of me as a kid.

22. Named most of 'em above. USED CARS, THE IN-LAWS, DUCK SOUP, WHO'S MINDING THE MINT? among the intentionally funny; among those that are unintentionally funny, ROCKY IV, DEATH WISH 3, DRUM.

Anonymous said...

1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times.

"Jaws", "Star Wars", "Aliens", "Predator", "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Rewatchability to me is the highest compliment a movie can receive.



2. Name a movie that you've seen multiple times in the theater.

"Seven", "Star Wars Episode 1", "Gladiator"




3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie.

Steve Buscemi, Salma Hayek




4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie.

Tom Arnold, Chris Tucker, Diane Keaton




5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from.

"Big Lebowski", "Jaws", "Used Cars", "Mallrats"




5. Name a movie musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.

"South Park"




6. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with.

"South Park", Specifically,"Uncle Fucka"



7. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.

"Jesus Camp"




8. Name a movie that you own.

uhh...ok. "Das Boot" the 5-hour uncut version.




9. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.

Harry Connick, Jr.



10. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? If so, what?

When i was about 4, my parents took me to see "Stir Crazy". I couldn't figure out at the time why they had me hide under a blanket for awhile. they told me we were playing a game, but they were sneaking me in.




11. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven't yet gotten around to it.

Kurosawa's "Ran", Terry Gilliam's "Brazil"




12. Ever walked out of a movie?

No, but I'm picky about what i see in a theater.



13. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.

I've never cried in the theater.



14. Popcorn?

No, I like going to get a sack of good Jelly Belly jellybeans before a movie i'm really looking forward to, though.



15. How often do you go to the movies (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?

I go as often as there are movies i want to see. I really dig the experience. Unfortunately, there are fewer movies i want to see, and my fellow moviegoers often are less than ideal company.

.

16. What's the last movie you saw in the theater?

"300" Really dug it.



17. What's your favorite/preferred genre of movie?

Used to be sci-fi or horror, now it's documentary. Truth is scarier these days.




18. What's the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?

A re-release of "Jaws" probably. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is the first confirmed one, but it's too late to be the real first.



19. What movie do you wish you had never seen?

"Ichi the Killer"



20. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?

"Tetsuo: The Iron Man"



21. What is the scariest movie you've seen?

"Jaws", "The Blair Witch Project", "Jesus Camp" all for different reasons.



22. What is the funniest movie you've seen?

Really depends on the mood in which i'm viewing. I laughed pretty well all through "MST3K: The Movie" and "Dumb and Dumber". "Used Cars" is funny enough to bring me out of a bad mood.

Anonymous said...

I hope you've seen Hedwig & The Angry Inch! Originally a broadway musical adapted for film, it combines music, animation, vibrant characters and a touching not-all-that-unbelievable story. The writing is brilliant and the lead acting superb. Watch this movie with someone you love - or drunk and alone so you can sing along.